Portfolio: Chelsea Courthouse Chelsea, Michigan
This elegantly-restored historic bank building is now the 14th District Court in Chelsea.Read more
The building now known as Chelsea Courthouse, 14th District Court, was built at the turn of the century by local industrialist, banker and politician Frank Glazier, to house the Chelsea Savings Bank. Once called the finest banking institution between Detroit and Chicago, the landmark structure had an interior of rich carved woodwork, extensive marble and an elegant plaster dome.
Between 1940 and the early 1960s, the interior was remodeled to accommodate the needs of the occupants. The attempts to modernize ignored the beauty and historical significance of the structure, hiding many of its important architectural features. Decades later, there was again a need to remodel, but this time the owner elected to return the building to its original design and ornamentation. Original plaster, woodwork and marble were restored or replicated. The restoration also required addressing modern building code issues, including construction of barrier-free access to all three levels of the building.
Owner: Washtenaw County
Architect: Poley/Mitchell Architects
Project Manager: Kirk Moll
Location: Chelsea, Michigan